Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

carbon monoxide

Commonly referred to by the acronym “CO,” carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. Known as “The Silent Killer,” it is produced anytime you burn fuel in vehicles, small engines, household appliances, fireplaces, and generators. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning results in the deaths of 400 Americans, and more than 2,000 emergency room visits each year.

Who is at risk of CO poisoning?

Everyone is at risk. Period! However, infants, the elderly, and those with chronic heart or lung conditions are at even greater risk. Installing a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home is one of the best ways to avoid potential CO complications. You can find these at your local home improvement or big box retailer.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

The most common systems of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe too much of it in, it can make you pass out or even worse, die. The latter often happens while you’re sleeping.

Getting Help

If you or someone you know is suffering from any of the symptoms previously mentioned, and suspect the possibility of CO poisoning, everyone should immediately exit the house and call 9-1-1 for emergency assistance. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning. For more information, contact Serenity Hyberbaric Treatment at (623) 930-0887.

Leave a Reply